Saturday, June 5, 2010

Saluting the Great Ken Griffey Jr.

My Fellow Phans,

Earlier this week, baseball lost one of its active legends when Ken Griffey Jr retired from the game of baseball. I must be getting old that one of my favorite players when I was younger is retiring. Here are my thoughts and memories on perhaps the greatest left-handed hitter to even play the game of baseball.

As a baseball fan, I have already favored watching left handed hitters. Why? Well the answer is simple; there are some lefties who have a “perfect” swing; it never seemed to happen for any righties. It’s hard to describe and probably only baseball fans will get what I am talking about. The perfect swing was a swing that was fluid every time, it made an observer stand up and go, wow that guy is amazing. A perfect swing made you a good hitter simply because you clearly knew exactly what you were doing at the plate. I’m sure you know where this is going, but I’ll continue. Ask any baseball fan, and I’m sure most of them would agree; Ken Griffey Jr. had the perfect swing.

When Griffey came into the league; he immediately made a hit with the Seattle Mariners, (no pun intended). With his sweet swing and his great plate discipline, there were a great many, myself included, who thought he would break the home run record. However injuries delayed put an end to that pursuit He would end with 630 career home runs. What made Griffey so great was that his name was never connected to any steroid stories or accusations, at least none that I know of. He always remained the small-built, unassuming guy with natural power like no other player. His perfect swing and natural talent was all that needed.

Once he returned to Seattle, you just knew it was almost the end for Griffey. I cannot think of a more perfect ending then returning to where it all started for one final go around. He didn’t want a farewell tour and there will not be one as he ends his career and will just stop playing. I’m sure that teams will still celebrate this legend anyway. He was a legend, a leader and is a first ball Hall Of Famer or at least should be. If Griffey does not get in on the first ballot, I may have to boycott baseball, but I’m sure there is nothing to worry about in that regard.

I cannot believe I am quoting Milton Bradley when I actually agree with him, but he summed up the situation perfectly when he said “On a day like this, it should rain in Seattle.” It is raining Mr. Bradley, but not a dreary rain to point out a great loss, but instead it is raining praise and thanks from the Seattle faithful to the greatest Mariner to ever play the game, Mr. Ken Griffey Jr.

I salute you Ken Griffey. You were one of my favorite players growing up and I look forward to seeing your induction into Cooperstown. Baseball lost one of its legends this week, and he will never be forgotten.

Until we meet again Phillies Fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies!

No comments:

Post a Comment