Sunday, November 28, 2010

2010 Look Back: Kyle Kendrick

My Fellow Phans,

Here is your final individual starter Look Back today; Kyle Kendrick.

Please note: I will have a recap of the other pitchers, Moyer and Worley ect, in a combined post later in this blog. It will be a recap of all the “Other Pitchers” that I did not cover individually. Look for a “Bench Recap” as well later on down the line.

So now that you know what to expect, here is the look back at Kyle Kendrick:

Kyle Kendrick: 2010 Stats: 11-10 4.73 ERA (Did not pitch in postseason)

Recap:

Before you go ostracizing Kendrick’s season as horrible and labeling the man as the worst pitcher we have, as I have heard people say, firstly remember how bad Danny Baez was, and make a note that Kendrick had a better ERA and WHIP then Joe Blanton did.

Kendrick was a two-faced pitcher last season. He was either really good or really bad. It was just a matter of whom you were going to get. He would pitch shutout ball one start and then give up 6-7 runs. In 14 starts, he gave up 2 earned runs or less. On the flip side, 15 of his starts resulted in 4 earned runs or more. That’s 29 of his 31 starts. There was no middle ground for Kendrick and it was that inconsistency that made his 2010 campaign so frustrating for us Phans.

Kendrick has the capabilities to be a star pitcher in this league, but he just cannot seem to successfully put it together consistently.

Look Ahead:

Ruben Amaro commented on Kendrick’s 2010 season as “a pretty good performance”. I don’t think he has a contract from the Phillies for next season, but I expect that to happen soon. I may be mistaken, so don’t quote me. I think it is safe to assume that Kendrick is the Phillies’ 5th starter next season, barring some radical change in their offseason plans. Hopefully, he will take the positive pitcher from 2010 and spread that over an entire season. Only then will he be an elite pitcher in the Phillies’ rotation.

Grade: C

I would give Kendrick’s “good side” an A, but his “bad side” an F. I just met in the middle with the grade.

Until we meet again Phillies fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies

No comments:

Post a Comment