Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Few Tidbits...

My Fellow Phans,

Before I continue with my look backs, I have a few tidbits that I want to comment on.

Firstly, congrats to Shane Victorino on his 2010 Gold Glove, the award is his third consecutive Gold Glove.  I am going to be honest here, I had Polanco pinned as a top candidate for a Gold Glove at third base, but the voters disagreed and the award went elsewhere. Maybe the injury hurt his case, I can’t say for sure, but anyway, congrats to Shane Victorino, you’ve earned it buddy.

There are also reports that Jamie Moyer will retire. I will not post a lot on that now, but once it is officially announced, I will have a nice post on here honoring one of the great men that has ever graced a Phillies uniform.

Thirdly, I fully support the hiring of Juan Samuel as the newest third base coach. What troubles me is moving Sam Perlozzo from third base to first base. If it’s not broken, why fix it? Sam has done an admirable job for us at the hot corner and I think he should remain there. Samuel is a well-known base stealer, much like Davey Lopes, and I think his talents would be better served replacing Lopes at first base and working with the base stealers; something that Davey was just so good with during his tenure here.

Fourthly, The Phillies recently hired Ryan Sandberg to coach the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs, their AAA affiliate. I see this as a great hiring. Sandberg was an elite player and has a good knowledge of the game. Plus, and I didn’t know this until last week, Sandberg was actually drafted by the Phillies. He was called up in 1981, and played in just 13 games before being traded to the Cubs. Better late than never I guess, to come back home.
Sixthly, the Phillies resigned Jose Contreras earlier this week. I am very happy about this resigning. Contreras had a 3.34 ERA this season. In 56.2 innings, he struck out 57 and walked just 18 batters. The contract is for 5.5 million over the next 2 years.

The last points on my list both deal directly with Roy Halladay. Halladay was recently announced to be on the cover of Major League Baseball 2K11. See the picture below.


Lookin’ pretty good, Roy…

My final point concerns the 2010 National League CY Young Award. Today, at about 1:30pm est, the winner of this prestigious award will be announced. As, many have predicted, I think Roy Halladay is the front-runner for this award. I will keep you all updated as this situation develops.

Make sure to stay tuned for more news on Moyer, Halladay, and the CY Young award announcement. Watch out for more 2010 Look Backs coming soon.

Until we meet again Phillies fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies

No comments:

Post a Comment