Friday, November 12, 2010

2010 Look Back: Carlos Ruiz


My Fellow Phans,

It’s time again for another look back. This time it is the faithful catcher, and a personal favorite of mine: Mr. Carlos Ruiz.

Carlos Ruiz: 2010 Stats: .302 AVG 8 HR 53 RBI (Postseason: .192 AVG 1 HR 2 RBI)

Recap:
I don’t think anyone would disagree with me if I say that Chooch was probably the offensive MVP of the Phillies this past season. I could go on and on talking about how much this guy did for us, but I will try to keep it brief. He is the cornerstone of the Phillies defense, and one of the most underrated players in all of baseball. His 2010 campaign was arguably his best season yet.

Through a series of walk-off hits, clutch hits, and just downright good hitting, Ruiz has quickly climbed the ranks amongst the best catchers in baseball. Whenever a runner needed to get knocked in, Chooch always seemed to come through at just the right time to tie a game or put the Phillies ahead. His walk-off hits included a blast off of Bryan Hawksworth of the Cardinals and smashed double off of Jonathon Broxton to cap off a Phillies rally against the Dodgers. He also broke up a perfect game from Reds’ rookie starter Travis Wood.

Throw in his gold glove caliber defense and Ruiz has become a star for the Phillies. He was signed as an infielder and who could see this coming? I didn’t. The guy is truly an amazing player and a great person as well.  

Looking Ahead:
 Ruiz is a franchise player for the Phillies. He will be back next year and I sincerely hope that he spends his remaining career here in Philadelphia. I see no reason why he cannot put up the same quality numbers next year as he has this season.

Grade: A +

Ruiz had a great season all around. I don’t think any another player will receive as high of a grade as Ruiz has in my recaps. At least any position player that is. Ruiz was the top offensive player for the Phillies and he has earned an A+ for his efforts last season.

Until we meet again Phillies fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies!

No comments:

Post a Comment