Sunday, November 28, 2010

2010 Look Back: Cole Hamels

My Fellow Phans,

I have great news. I am here, once again, with another Phillies’ 2010 Look Back. To add to this surprise, this is the first of four, yes four more Look Backs! Today is the day that I wrap up the individual starting pitcher Look Backs. So here we go!

We start our Look Backs today, with our beloved lefty, Cole Hamels, whom bounced back from a miserable 2009, to have a very promising 2010 campaign.

Cole Hamels: 2010 Stats:  12-11 3.06 ERA (Postseason: 1-1 1.80 ERA)

Recap:

Do not let the barely above .500 record fool you. Hamels was leagues better than his record would indicate. Hamels started 32 games this season and allowed 3 earned runs or less, 25 times this season.
This was the Cole Hamels that we Phillies fans have come to know and love. Watching him this year reminded me of the Cole Hamels from the 2008 World Series Championship squad. He never seemed to have a bad start, and if he did, he bounced back nicely. 

Unlike in 2009, when Cole seemed to be bothered by little uncontrollable things, such as an error or a missed strike call, and then he would collapse. This year was different; Hamels seemed to mature more and not let those small things bother him as much as they did last year.

That, my friends, is the key to successful starting pitching in the Major Leagues. That is what Hamels developed, and what made him so successful in 2010.

Looking Ahead:

Hamels look to try to keep up the momentum that he started in 2010. If you ask me, I loved what I saw from Cole last season and I think that he keeps it up in 2011. Coupling with Roy Halladay and Roy Oswalt, should make Hamels that much better this upcoming season. Look for Hamels to continue his success.

Grade: A

Hamels had a good year; there wasn’t much he did wrong in 2010. He earned that A. Keep it up Cole!

Until we meet again Phillies fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies

No comments:

Post a Comment