Sunday, December 5, 2010

2010 Look Back: Brad "Lights-Out" Lidge


My Fellow Phans, 

It’s been a week since I posted on here, but I am sure with the big 4 set that gave you last Sunday kept you satisfied for quite a few days after this week. So, I will bring to you the final pair of pitchers that I will cover 
 individually starting with Phils’ closer Brad Lidge.

Brad Lidge: 2010 Stats: 1-1 2.96 ERA 27 Saves

Recap:

I know there are a lot of people who have bashed Lidge throughout this season, and while I agree that they have every right to, there wasn’t much warrant to those criticisms this season. The ignorance of people sometimes is shocking, although I guess it is to be expected.

Let’s look at the numbers. Lidge has 5 blown saves. That’s as many blown opportunities that MLB saves leader Brian Wilson, and the legendary Mariano Rivera had this past season. It is also 3 less saves than all-star closers Francisco Cordero and Jonathan Papelbon had this season. When you look at it, Lidge’s 5 blown saves is not that terrible.

His ERA was under 3.00. Again, not too shabby at all. Lidge’s WHIP this season was identical to his perfect campaign in 2008 while his BAA was the best that it ever had been as a Phillie. In short, this was not a bad 
 year for Lidge at all.

Looking Ahead:

Lidge has one more assured year on his contract for the 2011 season along with a club option for the 2012 season. I would think the Phillies would be unlikely to pick the option up, unless of course, Lidge has a stellar year this season which I am predicting the he does. I think he continues his good pitching up presuming he stays healthy all season.

Grade: B

I’m sure people will disagree with this grade, but from an objective viewpoint, this is the perfect grade for Lidge. He had a good season despite the large amount of criticism.

Until we meet again Phillies fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies

No comments:

Post a Comment