Friday, August 13, 2010

Wow!

My Fellow Phans,

Before I begin, I would like to mention that I tried something new this post by adding pictures and links to my post. Let me know what you think!

Anyways,

So how many of you watched the entire Phillies game last night? Well for those who raised your hands, you were treated to what may have been the best Phillies game of this season; despite the fact that the first 7 innings may not have appeared to be so. When the bottom of the 8th inning rolled around, things began to change and in a hurry. With the Phillies trailing 9-2, they put together a succession of hits to rally together and get the score to 9-6.

I'm not one to say that the Phillies are in the head of Jonathon Broxton, but he was far from unhittable when he entered the game in the 9th inning. The usually strong closer proved, once again, that he cannot retire the Phillies in a big game. Broxton was all over the place and allowed 4 runs which was capped off by a walk-off double by Carlos Ruiz off the left-center-field wall.  Of course, a critical error by third baseman Casey Blake on a sure double play ball opened the flood gates just a bit more.

So are the Phillies in the head of Broxton, or was he being hexed?


During the 9th inning, the camera repeatedly flashed back to this kid who was doing his best Phanatic Impression in an attempt to jinx the Dodgers' pitcher. I recall telling my mom that if the Phillies win, this kid is going to be the talk of the town. The "Hex Kid" as he is being called is being sought by every media outlet and even being stalked by Fox, which I cannot say I am surprised at, just check out Fox's Twitter feed. ( http://twitter.com/fox29philly ).

Either way, Broxton seems to be frazzled by the Phillies. Since game 4 of the 2008 NLCS, , when Matt Stairs hit an eighth-inning home run, Broxton is 2-2 with a 9.82 ERA, one save and three blown opportunities against the Phillies. 


But back to the more important part of this game which was the fiery comeback that the Phillies served to the Dodgers. This is the type of game that we haven't seen from the Phillies in a long time. This is the type of game that the 2008 and 2009 teams threw at you from time to time; it was that passion, that fire that this year's squad had seemed to be lacking. Not too shabby from a team missing its two top hitters due to injuries. The way this team has adapted since Howard went on the DL has been unbelievable. 


All the players have contributed, whether it would be new guys like Mike Sweeney and Domonic Brown to mainstays Raul Ibanez, Jayson Werth, Jimmy Rollins, everyone has played their part recently. 

I would like to offer a special mention of Placido Polanco and Carlos Ruiz; whom, despite how bad the rest of the team was playing, always seemed to keep their heads in the game. You want me to pick an MVP for the Phillies? Well, I honestly cannot. However, I have to nominate those two guys are Co-MVPs on this team up to this point in the season.   


I think there is nothing else to say, but lets hope they keep this up. Just imagine what this team could do with a healthy Ryan Howard and Chase Utley.. I guess we will have to wait and see....


Until we meet again Phillies Fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies!

No comments:

Post a Comment