Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Stupidity Thwarts the Phillies

My Fellow Phans,

I'm sure most of you by now saw the debacle that was last night's game. Now my computer isn't back yet, but I got up early today and I needed to throw a few comments down about last night as it was extremely frustrating to observe from a Phillies fans standpoint. As badly as that call in the 8th inning was, and I will touch on that a bit later, the Phillies lost this game from their own stupidity.

It has been obvious for awhile that Jayson Werth just doesn't care as much this season as in year's past. Anyone remember when he stole home against the Dodgers? how alert on the base-paths that one had to be to even attempt such a feat. It was sheer brilliance. He read the situation and took full advantage of what he was given.That's the old Jayson Werth that we used to know; an alert and good base runner. What happened to that guy?

Nowadays we have that same Werth, the same alert and smart runner getting picked off of bases at least once every few games or so it seems. Last night, Werth gets picked off at second during an intentional walk! An Intentional Walk! A play during which you know exactly what is going on. You don't even need to be a good base-runner to get it. You don't mosey back to your base with your head down assuming that the play is over, but sadly, that is the type of plays that Werth has been making this year.

We all know he has his mind on the contract he may obtain at the end of the season, that is evident, but at least he could act like he cares about this season. I have been an avid baseball fan for many years and that may have been the worst baseball play that I have ever seen in my life.

Before I discuss the Bourn play and why Mr. Gibson is making himself look like a crooked umpire, I will discuss another error of stupidity that occurred. I have seen plenty of replays of this play by now and excluding the fact that it does appear that Howard tags him out, I also notice that he has ample time to throw it to first base. Why even take a risk in trying to tag the speedy outfielder when a simple flip to first base would do just as well. Instead Howard made a stupid play and it cost us majorly. 

But as it stands, we are discussing this type of controversial call that seems to occur a lot more frequently in baseball the past few seasons. I'm not going to explain the play again as you probably have seen multiple replays of it as I have. Well this play is nearly identical to a play that occured on June 24th of this season with Shane Victorino running to first base. The most curious part is that it is the same umpire who called Victorino out of the basepaths, but allowed a young Michael Bourn to reach first base safely last night eventually costing the Phillies the game.

Victorino stopped to talk to Gibson on his way into the dugout. He reminded Gibson of that play and asked how this was any different. Gibson told him "Carmona had established the tag attempt and Victorino was more than three feet away from it." I still don't see the difference from last night. Howard established the tag attempt, by tagging him! Bourn was tagged out and Mr. Gibson missed so many things on this play.

Now in the past, umpires often talk to the media about controversial calls such as this one.  Jim Joyce did it after the call that ruined a perfect game and Bob Davidson talked after making the call earlier this year in Florida that cost the Marlins a game against the Phillies. I'm sure we all remember that lucky break. So when a reporter came up to Gibson after the play to ask about it after the game and Crew chief Sam Holbrook said Gibson was not available and said only this: "Per MLB policy, we're not allowed to talk", it is kind of suspicious.

I'm not saying that there are biased umps out there, but I have a new ump on the top of my sh** list. He is 2nd behind C.B. Bucknor, who may never be surpassed. He ranks just ahead of the guy who threw Victorino out from center-field a few years back. I mean the guy totally contradicts himself making one call against the runner and then the same call for the runner (both of which go against the same team) and than refuses to comment. What does that say to you? I really hope he is not behind the plate tonight. I wouldn't want any Phillies to be swinging out of the base-paths which I am not sure if even a rule, but with General Gibson on the case, you never know what is going to happen.

The bottom line is that stupidity lost the game for the Phillies, not the atrocious calls of a questionable ump. It doesn't help though.

Until we meet again Phillies Fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment