Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Saluting The "Godfather" of the Yankees, Mr. George Steinbrenner

My Fellow Phans,

Amongst all the celebration and partying, there has been some very sad news from the World of Baseball during this All-Star Break. Longtime Yankees owner George Steinbrenner passed away early Tuesday morning. He was 80 years old.

To many he was affectionately known as "The Boss", I always referred to Mr. Steinbrenner as the "Godfather of the Yankees". Now that doesn't mean that I consider him to be the giant Mob Boss, but what I mean is that the devotion he showed towards the Yankee Organization, his own family, and the fans was so strong that it reminded me of Marlon Brando's character in the classic.

Granted, I may not be the most qualified to be writing a little memorial about him, as I am not a Yankees fan. As a Phillies fan, I was not the biggest supporter of Mr. Steinbrenner, but as a baseball fan, he was the member of the Yankees that I respected the most out of all the individuals up there.

From what I know about him, I know his dedication to winning was unmatched by anyone. When he took over the Yankees in 1973, winning was his sole focus and winning was what he did. He guided the Yankees to an astonishing 7 World Series Titles. Yes, 7! That is more World Series titles than most teams have had in their histories. Failure was not an option and no manager was safe from firing if they did not live up to expectations.

Off the field, he gave a lot of money to various charities and organizations. While he loved winning, his generosity was also something he was well known for.

Love him or hate him, George Steinbrenner was a legend in the Baseball world and his life will never be forgotten. The final connection between him and The Don from the movie, they're lives were both stolen from then by their hearts which were always open to anyone who needed them.

R.I.P George Steinbrenner - You will never be forgotten.

Until we meet again Phillies Fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies!

PS: I hope some of my Yankees fans friends read this and let me know what they think.

No comments:

Post a Comment