Monday, July 19, 2010

Dollar Signs in His Eyes: Werth not Worth Much Right Now

My Fellow Phans,

It has been awhile since we last spoke and I apologize for that. This is the longest I've been at a computer in awhile since my laptop when temporarily out of commission. Blogger is the only regular site that I go on that I cannot really access from my IPod or Phone so I need to wait for the family computer to blog on here.

Anyways, I digress....I wanted to take the time to address a player on the Phillies who I cannot help but figure out. I'm trying to keep it calm when this topic comes up. I don't know what to say about him. The player I am speaking about is our right fielder; our old buddy Mr. Jayson Werth. He is taking strikes at an unbelievable rate and striking out both looking and swinging every other at bat it seems. He struck out 9 times this weekend in the 4 game series. Yes, that is over 2 a game. At least 5 of those strike outs were looking. he barely swung the bat all series. I can't pinpoint what's wrong.

Honestly, I question his loyalty and his interest this season. He appears to not be trying at some points and than over trying at others. We already know he has money on his mind. A big free agent contract is waiting for him and he has already admitted that he is looking forward to the off season. He said it himself "I've said it before, I've played my whole career for this season right here. I plan to see it through." I've used that quote before in a post. Unless I'm totally misreading it, it basically says he is playing his career for the money. This is something that some players may say about winning a World Championship; others want money. It seems Werth is the latter variety.

Charlie Manuel noticed it and said that its the impending off season that is causing his struggles. Charlie was asked about Werth's struggles: "In some ways, it has to. I definitely think that. I think everyone is like that. Even if a guy is quiet and controls it better than others, I know it does. I know in his mind, he thinks about that. He really got off to a tremendous start. When things start going a little bad for him, yeah, he thinks about it. But he's going to be fine, if he just goes back and plays the way that I know he can, and that he's showed me that he can."

Werth completely denied it of course. "I don't think anyone can sit there and say they know what I'm thinking," Werth said. "I'm playing hard. I'm playing to win . . . The contract is the last thing on my mind. But at the same time, I know that Charlie is in my corner, and we all have one-track minds in here. But that's not what I'm thinking."

The struggles never really ended; in fact, they have gotten worse. I mean, there's a difference between struggling and not caring and frankly I watch Werth and cannot say one way or the other.

I know for a fact that I am not the only one to question Werth these days. Its pretty clear that his head is elsewhere at this moment and what exactly can be done to put it back where it belongs? Can anything be done? For a team that picked up this often injury outfielder, gave him playing time and a World Series Ring, it is a slap in the face if he indeed has stopped caring. Thanks for the few good years. Right now, I could care less if they resign you or not.

Now of course I could be all wrong here about Werth. I hope I am. I really do, but I just cannot toss aside this possibility right now. If I am wrong, I will apologize and acknowledge I was wrong in my judgment.

The proof of my false ideas has to come on the field. There is still a lot of baseball left. The Phillies have time to right the ship and make the postseason. They just need to start sooner rather than later....

Until we meet again Phillies Fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies!

No comments:

Post a Comment