Thursday, March 31, 2011

Phillies Finalize 2011 Roster

My Fellow Phans,

The Phillies finalized their roster today. Incase any of you haven’t gotten a chance to see it, here it is:

Catchers (2): Carlos Ruiz, Brian Schiender
Infielders (7): Ross Gload, Ryan Howard, Michael Martinez, Pete Orr, Placido Polanco, Jimmy Rollins, Wilson Valdez
Outfielders (4): Ben Francisco, Raul Ibanez, John Mayberry, Shane Victorino, Starters (5):  Joe Blanton, Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Roy Oswalt
Relievers (7):  Danys Baez, Antonio Bastardo, Jose Contreras, David Herndon, Kyle Kendrick, Ryan Madson, J.C. Romero,

So, for the record, I correctly predicted 22 of the 25 roster players. Now, some were locks, but there were also some surprises that I personally found interesting.

When I heard that they had cut Castillo, I first was shocked as the guy appeared to be having a very successful time with the Phillies. I think his age truly played a role in this release. I was also surprised Delwyn Young didn’t make the cut, but I have no doubt that we will see him later this season with the big club. The rest of the bench, I can accept.

With Peter Orr, Michael Martinez, and Wilson Valdez, we have 3 guys, 4 if you include Polanco, that can play all 4 infield spots as well as the outfield. This is going to prove to be a strength for us in the long run. Oh and congrats to John Mayberry on making the roster. He had a superb spring and I think could play dividends in the long run.

What will the lineup look like tomorrow? Well, we will just have to wait and see. I think the bigger question at this point is really if we will actually play this game since the weather is apparently going to provide some stiff opposition to getting this game in as scheduled.

 On a side note: the Phillies have recently added a pair of infielders to minor league deals. Former Giant Kevin Frandsen and former National, Indian, and Dodger Ronnie Belliard.


Last, but not least, I regret to inform you that the Phillies sit in 2nd place behind the Atlanta Braves since the Bravos won today. I guess the experts were right… Oh wait, there is still 162 games for us to play. Instead of making predictions, let’s just watch this season play out.

Get ready… Tomorrow at 1:00pm, the greatest sports team on this Earth begins their 2011 campaign…LETS GO PHILLIES!!!!

Until we meet again Phillies Fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies!

No comments:

Post a Comment