Monday, March 21, 2011

Infielders Out the Wazoo!: Injury & Signing Updates

My Fellow Phans,


Alright – so it’s really been awhile so I have gotten to post on here. For that, I do apologize. It’s been a long week or so for me with school, class, work and other such things all occurring simultaneously.

Now, when I should be doing some schoolwork, I have decided to sit here and give you lovely folks on some updates from our beloved Phillies.

Well, as I am sure you all already know; Utley is still hurt and there are some reports that he may start the season on the Disabled List. Brad Lidge is hurting, yes a huge shocker there I know, as well as our starting third baseman, Placido Polanco.

Both Lidge and Polanco insist that they will be ready and healthy for opening day. I guess the one possibly upside to Utley and Polanco’s injuries, not saying that it’s a good thing – but I am trying to be optimistic, is that we have an overabundance of infielders at spring training. Not only do we have a truckload of infielders playing well at spring training, we also just signed yet another one as insurance for Utley at second base.

I’m sure you have all heard this by now, but the Phillies signed veteran Luis Castillo to a minor league deal. Don’t let the minor league label fool you, as Castillo will have a legitimate shot at making the starting roster. Todd Zoleki has quoted Ruben Amaro as saying that Castillo won't open season in Minors. Either he makes the team or he's released.

Alright, I can agree with the logic on that one. Castillo is a major leaguer and can easily catch on somewhere else if he’s let go.

What I don’t get is that actual signing itself. I think my objection to the signing rests with the point that I made earlier; we already have an abundance of infielders. Not only do we have a truckload of infielders, we have several that play 3-4 spots and even some that can play the outfield.

We have Pete Orr, who can play 2B, 3B, SS, as well as the outfield (hitting .333 this spring). Delwyn Young, whom I believe to be a lock for the ballclub now, is hitting .333 with a homer and 7 RBIs in 22 games this spring and can play the 2B, 3B, as well as the outfield. Rule 5 pick second baseman Michael Martinez is hitting a crisp .320 this spring with a pair of homers. Last, but not least, we cannot forget Wilson Valdez. He is leading the Phillies in hits this spring hitting .439 with a homer and 6 RBIs.

Throw in Castillo, who is a career .290 hitter, but hit just barely over the Mendoza line last year and has been battling lingering injuries into the mix. I think he’s lower on the depth charts, but it would not be surprised if he makes the club thanks to a big emphasis on his previous MLB experience. I am actually truly curious to see how he performs this spring. He is scheduled to report today to camp so we shall see how this goes.

Until we meet again Phillies Fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies!

No comments:

Post a Comment