Sunday, February 27, 2011

Phillies Open Exhibition Season!

My Fellow Phans,

Oh what a lovely morning it truly is. The sun is shining, the temperature sits at a blistering 45 degrees and the Phillies have started their exhibition schedule. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the best time of the year has officially started! The Phillies are back and playing ball; let the fun begin!

Now yesterday was just an exhibition game, but it was important for several reasons. Miss the game? Well, I will let my buddy Stewie Griffin update you on its result:



 Now, what can we make of this game? Well. First off, they won the game 5-4. Yes, a win in any context is a good win, at least in my opinion. Secondly, they beat the Yankees. Again, I don’t care the situation, but anytime you beat the Yankees is a damn good time! Am I right people?!  The final reason, and best of all, baseball is back! The greatest sport that God placed on this green Earth has returned again for its 2011 edition. Many of you know that I have a very unhealthy, although I don’t see it in that manner, with the game of baseball. So, the fact that I can say that baseball is back in action is one of the greatest feelings in the world to me!


Anyway, back to the game. I am trying something new with this box score. I added it to this post as sort of a test run for this season. Let me know what you think. 

Some people said Hamels didn’t do that well. I disagree. He only allowed a single, unearned run over 2 innings and just a single hit to go along with it. True, it was not the best Hamels, but he did not really struggle either. Plus, it is the first start for him this spring so he gets a pass there. Vance Worley had two scoreless innings, another young gun on this team that I am a big fan of. As for the remaining pitchers used, I doubt that any of them have a serious shot to make this club.

The Phillies gathered 11 hits offensively. It was nice to see bench guys and younger players register some hits. I guess I don’t have to give specifics with the box score, but players like Pete Orr, John Mayberry, Ben Fransisco, Ross Gload, Wilson Valdez, and Dane Sardinha, whose RBIs put the Phillies ahead for good in the 8th, all stepped up and had solid games offensively.  This was a great sign to see.

Now it’s time for the downside:

What wasn’t so great is that Chase Utley missed the game due to “soreness”. I’m presuming that to mean that he’s injured, but Chase would never admit that so I will keep referring to it as soreness.

Another rough spot was Dannys Baez. Baez didn’t even pitch in this game, but started in a “B” game. He gave up 5 hits, 5 runs, in just 2/3 of an inning. Yes, my friends, he is horrible. If last year wasn’t evidence enough, he is just proving it more and more this season. Wow…

Oh and Jayson Werth is running his mouth and badmouthing the Phillies . I’m not sure if I am going to indulge him with a story, but that remains to be seen…

Until we meet again Phillies Fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies!

No comments:

Post a Comment