Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Petition to Phillies' Fans: Relax, It Is a Long Way to Go

My Fellow Phans,

I’m sure most of you have seen the press conference with our starting rotation that was held on Monday. I actually missed the live version, but thankfully was able to view courtesy of the internet. What I got from that, besides the fact that we may have the coolest and classiest rotation in the entire league, is the fact that people are jumping to conclusions way too quickly about this bunch.

I like Cliff Lee’s assessment on the situation when he said something to the effect of “we haven’t even thrown a pitch yet”. This is the same sentiment that I would like to express. Ever since Lee signed with the Phillies, people have been trying to come up with catchy names for our rotation, and although I have to say that some are extremely creative and make a lot of sense, people need to relax with all this stuff. The season hasn’t even started yet, the team hasn’t played a game together yet, and people in this area seem to be crowning them the World Series champs.

Not that I wouldn’t love to see that happen again, but it is a bit too premature. The same people that are making these claims are probably the same people that will never lay off Ryan Howard for his strikeout to end last year’s playoff run. My message to those is simply, to relax. Take a deep breath, and let this season play out. Regardless of what happens, this is going to be a fun season for us Phillies’ fans and this team is going to be a joy to watch for these 162 games. Don’t get ahead of yourselves people, please. 

You build up all this hype for these guys and if this season doesn’t go as planned, you will cry, whine, and rip the Phillies until the 2012 season starts. This is not the time to do that. It is a time to sit back and enjoy the ride. You are lucky enough to be living in one of the greatest eras in Phillies’ history, just bask in it while it lasts. We all remember, at least us diehards out there, how bad we were in the 90s when the Phillies had a much smaller fan base. Nobody hyped them up back then so why should you do it now? 2011 is just like any previous season. 

Baseball is an unpredictable sport. Who would have guessed that a team led by a girly looking fireballer and a castoff from our division rivals, the Marlins, would win the World Series? Nobody, except those in San Francisco. 

There is still a long season to be played out and we must take it in stride. Take it one step at a time and enjoy the great things that this team is capable of doing. There is no telling what will happen in October, or if this team will make that run, we just don’t know until it gets here. So, I ask you once again to relax. I am just as excited as the next person, but I know it is unrealistic to pin these guys at champs already. They may very well have the best rotation that the game has ever seen, but that remains to be seen. 

Give Blanton his props!
Oh, and one side note.  A beat reporter began a question with “Cole , you're the only one of the five Phillies starters with a World Series ring …"  Now that statement astonished me beyond belief. Thankfully, Joe Blanton interrupted reminding the moronic reporter that he has one as well.  I’m not sure who that is, but he is an embarrassment to the Phillies’ fan base. Do these writers know anything about the team or do they just not care about Blanton.

Blanton is going to as big of a factor this season for the Phillies as any other starter. Give the guy his props. He’s a classy guy and DOES HAVE A RING. I guess people forget his great pitching performance and HOME RUN in game 4 of the World Series. Just remember that he does indeed have that ring and pitched his behind off to help us get to the Promised Land. How can anyone forget that? Some people also obviously forget the 3.46 ERA that he had in the 2nd half of last season that played a critical role in getting us past Atlanta Braves down the stretch. 

He is not the only Phillie that never seems to get any credit. Our closer, Brad Lidge had a great season last year and was lights out at the end, but still people badmouth him. This perplexes me. I just don’t get why it is that Blanton and Lidge never seem to get any respect no matter how well they perform?

Oh my reporter friend, Get a clue buddy. I could do your job better. In fact, I welcome the opportunity… 

In regards to Joe Blanton, it pains me to see the man forgotten. I plan on cheering for him this season even more so than the previous 4 starters. He is a classy guy and deserves his props and acknowledgment that he does exist! I’m telling you now that Blanton will play a much bigger role in this season than anyone will have ever imagined. Mark my words. 

Oh and before I forget, I promised a good friend of mine that I would mention him on my page. He is a fellow blogger, a good friend of mine, and writes some damn good articles. Check him out: http://phanaticaddict.mlblogs.com/

Until we meet again Phillies Fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment