Wednesday, December 15, 2010

He's Back! Cliff Lee returns to the Phillies!

My Fellow Phans,

I’m sure you have all heard the great news by now. Cliff Lee, after weeks of speculation, decided totally unexpectedly to sign with our hometown Phillies!

It seems like a dream almost.  Ever since the start of the offseason, it looked like Cliff Lee would either be returning to Texas or going to the Bronx. However, out of seemingly nowhere, the Phillies popped back into the discussions. Suddenly, Cliff Lee was reportedly close to a decision. Philadelphia fans could feel the tension and anticipation rising. Could it be possible? Hours passed and the speculation grew and grew. In the middle of all this, reports stated that the Yankees were out of the running. It all came down to the Rangers and Phillies.

Suddenly, reports began pouring out of the internet. “Cliff Lee signs with Phillies”. However, the reports originated from a phony twitter account (Yes, I hate those idiots as well). The waiting continued. Finally, after many eager hours of waiting, hoping, wishing, praying, and begging, the deal was announced. The Phillies had brought back the man that helped lead them to the 2009 World Series. The beloved Cliff Lee had returned to the City of Brotherly Love.

So what does this mean for the Phillies? Well, the Phillies solidified themselves one of the best, if not the best, starting rotation in all of baseball. Lee joins the terrific trio of Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, and Cole Hamels (also known as H20) to create a fearsome foursome. I guess they’ll need a new codename for our rotation. I have heard a few, but “R2C2” is my personal favorite.


R2C2 is ready to roll next season.
Lee’s addition may also mean the subtraction of another starter. Rumors are swirling that Joe Blanton may be traded, to Boston perhaps, to make room for Lee’s contract. If Joe does go, it will be a shame and I do wish him the best. We wouldn’t have won it all in 2008 without him and we cannot thank him enough for what he did for us that postseason.

Of course I may be getting ahead of myself. I have no idea the next move that will be made by the Phillies. I can say this though, whatever happens, our starters will be a joy to watch next season. The only negative of this deal is that it makes me want next year’s baseball season to start even more now. I am already going into baseball withdraw this offseason. Yes, I am obsessed with the greatest sport on Earth. No, that is not a bad 
thing. Don’t judge. 

I’m not sure what I enjoy most about this deal; the fact that the Phillies brought back a star pitcher to add to our already exceptional rotation or the fact that we just totally spurned the Evil Empire. The big bad Yankees lost out on a free agent after throwing a crapload of cash at him. It showed the money isn’t everything. The Yankees are used to getting everything they want and they didn’t get that this time. Not only did Lee turn them down and basically told them that their money is no good to him, he pretty much metaphorically spat in their faces. Ironically enough, that is the same thing that some idiotic New Yorkers did to Cliff’s life during the ALCS last year.  We all know what they say about payback and that rung true in this case.

This says a lot about Cliff Lee. He didn’t jump at the very first, highest paying offer. Instead, he sat back, looked into his heart and let that make the choice where he wanted to go. That is something to commend him on. So many guys, *cough* Jayson Werth *cough*, are all about the cash and less about going to a place where he is comfortable. Werth took the biggest offer to go to a last place team. Lee chose a slightly different path. He rejected the larger offers and went to a place that he is most comfortable.

It doesn’t seem too long ago that the Phillies were the laughing stock of Major League Baseball. We were losing 100 games season after season and high quality players were demanding to be traded. Now, big named players have a deep desire to play in the friendly confines of Citizens Bank Park.  Halladay wanted to come, and now Lee followed suit. It is truly a great era to be a fan of Phillies baseball.

I remember telling my mom quite a few times that I never thought I would see a World Series championship in my lifetime. Oh, how my dreams were met and so much more. I can only hope this continues. Let’s keep it going boys and bring home the gold!

So, now the city is in a baseball frenzy. The players are ready and raring to go with their newest ace, fans  are going nuts all over the city, as Cliff Lee dons the red and white uniform for at least the next five more seasons.  The Phillies’ rotation has become a deck of cards with four aces. The only question that remains is how the team will produce in this upcoming season. The Phillies are already considered to be a favorite to reach the World Series this season; adding Cliff Lee just increases that expectation.

I am not a guy known to get his hopes up, but this signing is casting a different shadow on this team.  The expectations are going through the roof and fans are already being to anticipate another title. I must warn those fans out there who are putting these ideas in their heads. Baseball is a wonderful game due to its unpredictability and uncertainness. I am not saying that I could not see the Phillies back in the World Series, but I am just saying that we should not get so wired this far in advance. That way, if we do blow this somehow, the disappointment isn’t too much for those fans to endure.

Make no predictions now my friends, just sit back and enjoy the upcoming season. We have a long way to go. 

Until we meet again Phillies Fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment