Friday, June 17, 2011

Holy Starters, Batman!

My Fellow Phans,

I guess this story is nothing to be surprised about.

But, oh what a great week it has been for our beloved Phillies. I mean they haven’t lost a game yet and the starts have been pitching lights out. It seemed like this latest series against the Marlins showed the best that our staff had to offer.

Of course, the Marlins are currently reeling so it may have been a bit easier right now, but that doesn’t change the stats.

The Phillies starters were nearly flawless against the Fish. The quartet of Cole Hamels, Kyle Kendrick, Roy Halladay, and Cliff Lee combined to allow just 6 earned runs in 30 innings of work. That’s the equivalent of an 1.80 ERA. Think that’s impressive? The bullpen threw 7 scoreless innings during the 4 games. That lowers the team’s overall ERA to 1.46 for the Marlins’ series.

Thanks to this recently series, the Phillies were able to pulls ahead of Atlanta for the lowest team ERA in baseball with the current group sitting at 3.05. They also lead the league in complete games, shutouts, quality starts, and wins. They have issued the lowest amount of walks in baseball and currently sit 3rd in strikeouts and opponents batting average.

The lowest ERA amongst starters currently in the Phillies’ rotation is 3.75 by the recently recalled Vance Worley. The next lowest? 3.14 from Roy Oswalt.

I think the Phillies have a rare chance. The All-Star game is coming around and I see absolutely no reason that they cannot send 3 of our starters to the game. I mean who wouldn’t want the likes of Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee on their staff and don’t forget the pitcher who may be the best starter on the staff thus far, Mr. Cole Hamels.

I call him Mr. Hamels as I watch what I consider to be a changed pitcher this season. It has taken a few years, but Cole has seemingly become a “mature” pitcher. Of course, adding a pair of pitches to his repertoire doesn’t hurt his cause either. What has produced is an elite pitcher. Out of all the pitchers on our staff, he may be having the best season out of any of them. Hopefully this maturity is here to stay both on and hopefully the field.

I would like to consider Cole Hamels as the favorite to start for the NL in the All-Star game, but with Bruce Bochy calling the shots, I am dreading that the honor will go to Little Timothea down there on in San Francisco. Haircut? Oh sorry, I digress.

Regardless, I see no reason why Halladay, Lee and Hamels cannot all be All-Stars this season at least with an outside chance for Ryan Madson and Ryan Howard. I’m deeply hoping that Polanco holds his lead at third base. There is a shortage of good NL 3b this season and he is definitely amongst the top guys.

Speaking of the All-Star game, I am working on my own version of the all-star rosters. I’d like to think of myself as a bit more objective then the regular fans. (for example, I'm sure we all, outside of NY, can agree Jeter is not an All-Star). So look for those soon!


On another pitching related note, The Phillies made a move that seemed to be a long time coming. They designated JC Romero for assignment. The lefty had a 4.08 ERA this season for the Phillies. Vance Worley took Romero’s spot and will start on Saturday!

Until we meet again Phillies fans; Happy Readings and Go Phillies!

No comments:

Post a Comment